My little guy loves bath time, it used to be part of our bedtime routine until his eczema started to flare up. So now we reduced bath time to once or twice a week. So in-between that time, we like to wash his butt after #2, and wipe down his face and hands with a washcloth.
Once he’s ready, I’m excited about the idea of him playing in the adult bath tub. That way I can give him some toys to play with and it could be a fun activity fo r the whole family. There were a few things I wanted to keep in mind while buying toys for him:
- It needs to be safe enough for him to put in his mouth
- Can be easily cleaned – No holes that can cause mold and mildew build up
I was actually surprised to find a few wooden bath toys. This wooden canoe is handmade in Montreal. They have a variety of wooden boats that float on top of the water and they offer a natural or stained version. You can store away the little men until your baby is 3 years old. Just remember to let the toys thoroughly dry in-between uses.
- The boat is made of pine wood
- The little men are made of maple wood, and their hats are in leather (recommended for ages 3+)
- Treated with a mix of linseed oil and beeswax
- Colored versions: stained with a dye with non-toxic water and is protected with a natural oil
- Made in Montreal, Canada
Available at avasappletree.com
Another wood brand is Plan Toys. I purchased a few toys from their line and I think the quality is pretty good. The colours are also bright and cheerful so my baby and I really enjoy looking at them. They have a small selection of bath toys made out of what they call “Plan Wood” – all themed around boats and submarines. Fun!
- 73% of materials used to make their toys come from resources found within 30km of their factory in Trang, Thailand
- Toys made from rubber trees that no longer produce latex
- Toys painted with water-based dyes/organic pigment
- Non-formaldehyde glue
- Packaging made of recycled paper and soy ink
- Made in Thailand
Available at Well.ca
I think everyone grew up with a rubber ducky… but those things are usually made out of plastic and can easily grow mold and mildew inside. So anything that is plastic and squeaks, you might want to stay away from. I was able to find Hevea, which offers a new take on the rubber duck. These toys are made from 100% natural rubber and do not have holes on the bottom – making it safer and easier to clean.
- Made with 100% natural rubber – sustainably produced
- BPA, phthalates and PVC free
- No added colours or synthetics
- No perforations/hole in the bottom – eliminates grime and mould build up inside
- Packaging is made from FSC certified paper and biodegradable materials, printed in vegetable ink
- Handmade in Spain
Available at Well.ca
If you’re going to go plastic, Green Toys offer a wide selection of plastic bath toys that are made from recycled milk jugs (I believe they’re all #2 plastic).
- Made of 100% Recycled Plastic (recycled milk jugs)
- Dishwasher Safe
- Made in USA
Available on Amazon
What are your favourite bath toys? Are there other brands that you recommend us checking out?